Pages

Monday 1 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 1 Bonus Activity

Bonus Activity: Snail Mail
nz postcard.jpg
In the 1950s, most people communicated with one another by writing letters. According to the NZ history website, New Zealanders sent over 200 million letters and postcards between 1950 and 1960. That is an average of 87 letters per person!

For this activity, imagine that you are living in New Zealand in the 1950s. Use Google Draw* to design the front of a postcard that you could send to a friend. Try to include elements of Kiwiana in your design (e.g. Pohutukawa trees, Hokey Pokey ice cream, etc). Post a copy of your postcard picture to your blog. Be sure to describe what you have drawn on your blog beneath the picture





I have created a postcard on things that New Zealanders love to eat, use , and see. I placed the dollar notes and the coins on this postcard is because it is something that everyone in Aotearoa uses everyday. I placed the pohutukawa in my postcard because it is one of the native trees that are native to New Zealand and they are really important to our country. I placed the Hokey pokey ice-cream on my postcard because it is New Zealand's most favourite ice-cream. I placed those two birds on my post card is because they are both native to New Zealand. I placed the treaty of waitangi on my post card is because it is a really important part of our country. Last of all I placed our beloved Queen Elizabeth.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Sarah
I can really see the all of the hard work that you have put into this activity. I also am doing the summer learning journey on my blog. What was your favrioute part about this activity? Why?

Nicky Bloy said...

Hi Sarah!

What a great postcard that encompasses all things Aotearoa! I like that you shared all the reasons for designing your postcard the way you did and chose your symbols specifically to represent New Zealand each in a different way.

Have you ever received a postcard with a cool design, maybe from a different country?

Nicky :)

Post a Comment